Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Getting played

When I was walking from my office to my car today, a man approached me. I knew he was going to ask for money. I always try to acknowledge people who ask for money even if I don't have anything to give them. But this guy wanted to tell me a story about the bind that he and his wife were in. He said that he was sure that I had heard it all and started to say that they needed to get on the bus. I thought that he had no idea how much of it all I have heard. I also saw that they had fastfood bags and were drinking soda. I just said sorry and kept walking- I didn't even have the patience to give them a chance to convince me that they were truly in need. I think my clients have tried to play me too many times.

I always feel bad when I don't help people but there are too many desperate people in this city. I try to limit my change giving to obviously mentally ill, disabled or elderly folks. I admit that I am biased toward giving to women. I assuage my middle-class, white guilt by reminding myself that I don't make much extra money as a lowly public defender.

No comments: