Tuesday, April 10, 2007

murder

I was assigned my first murder case, but, alas, the client decided to retain. It's pretty common here for people accused of murder to retain, so the public defender doesn't get very many at all. Clients are convinced that they can beat any case if they have the money to retain a real lawyer. When the stakes are high, people come up with money to hire someone.

I have very mixed feelings about losing the case- I was thrilled and scared to get it assigned to me. I was also very flattered because I've only been at the office for a year and three months. My boss said he didn't want me to get bored and leave the office. Not really a problem for me. The barrier has been broken now. I really want my first murder to be representing someone who is already doing life on a different murder. That would take the pressure off- Michigan does not have the death penalty.

I had an annoying day today. I was supposed to argue a motion, but the judge decided to extend her easter vacation. Of course, the court didn't bother to tell me so I could let my client know that he didn't have to come downtown.

1 comment:

Court Reporter said...

I always find it bizarre that they prefer private attorneys. I think they are probably better off in the hands of the public defenders. I know that if I was ever indicted, I would want a PD, ideally, not a private attorney.