Wednesday, April 18, 2007

solicitation

I have a trial tomorrow. I don't see how I am going to win. Only one of those unforeseeable, beautiful, twists will save the guy, what my boss calls a "Perry Mason" moment (whoever that is). The cops totally testilied at the preliminary exam and will say the same things at trial. Sometimes they forget their lies, but this crew does this all the time. They are renowned for keeping their story straight.

I finally went by the crime scene tonight to see if it was possible for the cop to see what he said he saw from where he said he was standing. I drove up and down the street three times to check it out and stopped in front of his house for a bit. When I was driving away, a man on the next block flagged me down. He looked like he could be a client, so I stopped and rolled down my window. The man leaned in and asked, "How many do you want?" I told him I was just a defense attorney looking at a crime scene. He said, "Well, OK, forget my face." It's not me he has to worry about. It did make me wonder if I look like a crack head. Mrs. Defender assured me that I don't.

2 comments:

FoxTayle said...

Wow. Interesting, definitely.

Mrs. Defender said...

It's true, baby - you do not look like a crack head. And I guess you don't look like a police either. I hope you paid attn to that guy's face - I bet you'll see him in court some time since he's not very careful.

xoxo